|Min Pax 4
|Max Pax 10
|Cost per Person US$57 /ZAR900
|Departure Point: Broadacres Shopping Centre
DAY TOUR OF RIETFONTEIN, REBECCA STREET AND CHURCH STREET CEMETERIES
Discounted rates for children are available, depending on the number of adult passengers
Please request a special quote if less than 4 guests, or if you have a larger party (up to 40) where large group rates apply
- All entrance fees
- Transport from and return to Copperlake Brewing Company, Broadacres Shopping Centre, cnr Valley & Cedar Rd, Broadacres
- Specialist Battlefield Tourist Guide
- 2 bottles of water per guest
- A picnic lunch can be arranged for your own account
- Picnic or restaurant lunches – these are for your own account.
- Items of a personal nature
- All drinks
- Our route follows Lord Roberts’ advance and the two Battles for Pretoria, which surrendered on 5th June 1900.
- We first stop at the Rietfontein West Military Cemetery near Hartebeestpoort Dam where I highlight compelling stories about how British soldiers fell in the various battles in the area over a two-year period. The most interesting being the mysterious headstone of Major Minshall-Ford who was killed and buried with his batman.
- We then move to the Rebecca Street Cemetery in Pretoria West to pay our respects to legendary people with different backgrounds: from General Louis Botha, to entrepreneur Sammy Marks, to the infamous murderess Daisy de Melker.
- A lunch break follows at Café Oficina, a delightful Portuguese Restaurant in Pretoria West if the tour is on a weekday (for own account), or a picnic lunch during the weekend.
- We then visit the Church Street Cemetery and Hero’s Acre where the Who’s Who of the old Transvaal Republic are buried together with hundreds of British and Colonial soldiers. The are fascinating stories from the execution of Breaker Morant to the tragic death of Prince Victor Christian, a favourite Grandson of Queen Victoria.
Note on required fitness level: There is a moderate distance to walk within each cemetery and guests need to bring folding chairs to be comfortable whilst listening to the stories. Contact us for more information about this tour.
Please note that tours can also be arranged to suit your particular interests and needs. There are over 30 Anglo-Boer War Battlefields which can be visited in the Witwatersberg and Magaliesberg.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Payment in advance. 50% refund if the tour is cancelled.
- A 5% discount applies for individuals for day tours, from day tour 3 onwards.
- Indemnity form to be filled in and signed.
- Venues may have to be changed without notice if local conditions are unfavourable at the time.
- Dress must be suitable for the outdoors: wear walking shoes and hats and apply sun block cream.
HOW TO BOOK OR DESIGN A CUSTOMISED TOUR
For Bookings, Enquiries, Trip Planning and Customised Tours contact Rob at email@example.com